Thursday, January 2, 2014

January 2, 2014

Today I am just thinking about....

...the snow that is coming down and wondering when my district will decide to close schools. Others around me are already closed.

...the answers my students gave today when asked what was their favorite gift they received and one answered, "My Raggedy Ann doll." So much for technology.


...the fact that I can't figure out how to move photos taken on Galaxy to iphoto

...and that my students started their January gratitude journals today. Most said they were grateful for their family, homes, health and pets. Each day we will expand on that. For example, on the sixth, the challenge is to write six things for which we are grateful. My students are wonderful with their "Helping Hands" project (thank you, Angela Maiers), I want them to see all the things they are so lucky to have. Today one of the students started to cry because he didn't have a special pencil (which he took home and won't admit). I'm not one to give into tantrums in third-grade, but it didn't take long for two of the boys to volunteer their pencils to this child. They practice what I preach, and I can't fault them for that. We test so much in my grade level that I am happy to be able to also send my students out into the world as thoughtful caring people...which I believe is much more important even if the educational "powers to be" don't agree. Hopefully, this journal challenge will enrich my students and myself more than they realize and will give them something to look back on when they grow up.

Just thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment